Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kufiyaspotting #38: Jonas Brothers


Thanks to Melanie, who spotted this one for me. And she writes:

While babysitting, I was watching a Jonas Brothers commercial on The Disney Channel. What do I see carefully placed around the neck of one of the brothers? A kufiya. It was on the screen for no more than three seconds of the commercial, but it was clear to me what I just seen. The "fashion" accessory has even trickled down to the Disney kids.

Melanie hunted for a photo from the commercial, couldn't find one, but found this instead. I think it's Nick who is wearing the black-and-white, and Joe in the blue one. Click on the photo to see a larger version.

I think I may have found the commercial that Melanie saw. It's not real clear, but I'm sure that there is a kufiya around the neck of one of them:



Will Michelle Malkin step in again to protect our children from this new jihadi threat?

For those of you who don't know--and I had to look this up--the Jonas Brothers are a pop-rock band who appeal to a 'tween demographic, as far as I can tell. They appear often, in person and in ads and in soundtracks, on the Nickelodeon Dhannel, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network.

Perhaps kufiya wearing is an attempt to appear a bit more hip, to instill a hint of street cred?

1 comment:

alaa said...

yeah, it's a fashion statement now. but most people who wear it, just like the jonas brothers, have no idea what it means or its origins.

it's ironic how the scarf is considered something poorer people used to wear in Palestine and if you where it here, its a kind of a symbol of class and sophistication.